For the crust:
9 inch deep dish pie pan
2 cups all purpose flour
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 tablespoons ice cold water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
extra flour for dusting the counter
1. Using stand mixer or mixer add flour, butter and salt to bowl. Turn on to low speed. Add 7 tablespoons water. Turn up speed on mixer and beat for 1-1 1/2 minutes or until pea size crumbs form.
2. Add flour to surface and dump crust onto counter or cutting board. Form into a large ball and add cover with plastic wrap or place in ziplock bag and put in fridge. Leave and let cool for 2-8 hours. For this recipe, I let it chill for 4 hours.
3. Remove crust from fridge and add more flour to work space and rolling pin. Split crust into 2 balls. Roll pie crust from the center going outwards. The pie crust needs to be rolled wide enough to cover the bottom and going up the sides of the pie pan and the top crust needs to cover the entire top of the pie and a little bit down the sides of the pie pan.
For the filling:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 small sweet potato diced
1 cup ham diced
1 cup turkey diced
juice 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter+
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 large shallot diced
1 carrot diced
1/2 white onion diced
1/2 green bell pepper diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat dutch oven or large deep skillet to med-high heat and add olive oil. Once heated add red onion, white onion, shallots, carrots, green pepper and garlic cloves.
2. Cook mixture for 10 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Add butter and flour to mixture. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring to avoid sticking.
4. Add chicken stock and milk. Stir to combine. Add 1 teaspoon pepper, salt, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and lemon juice.
5. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickens. Shouldn't take no more than 10 minutes.
6. Add turkey, ham and herbs. Cook for another 5-10 minutes while stirring. Add sweet potatoes.
7. Place bottom pie crust in pie dish and with a fork poke holes in the crust to avoid bubbling. Pour filling into crust.
8. Top pie with other crust and with fingers grip both edges and fold and tuck them into the pie pan.
9. Beat egg and 1 tablespoon water in bowl and brush over pie crust.
10. Place pan in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.