Shrimp and Grits: This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup yellow grits
1 pound large shrimp (size is optional)
1 stalk celery
1 large green bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 white onion
3 cloves garlic
13 oz andouille sausage
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
crushed red pepper flakes
Old Bay seasoning salt
freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1. Cook grits according to package directions or use any kind grits you prefer to use. Add salt, pepper and butter to taste. Right before serving the grits stir in cheese.
2. Chop vegetables and garlic in to 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Preheat large skillet to medium-high add add chopped sausage.
Cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pan.
4. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan then add chopped vegetables and garlic.
5. Season vegetables with 1/2 tablespoon of each: pepper, salt, oregano. Add 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning.
6. Cook vegetables for 10-15 minutes.
7. Add sausages back into the pan. Let cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes.
8. Toss in shrimp and stir. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning.
9. Pour in chicken broth and stir.
Be sure to scrape the bottom the pan.
Squeeze in lemon juice and stir. Let simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour and stir until well combined.
11. Let simmer covered for 5-10 minutes.
Right before serving toss in parsley and stir.
Serve over grits and enjoy!
*seasonings can be adjusted to taste